• Too complicated
• Needs to recognise people who race more often
• Needs to recognise other factors not just the fastest
• Not fair, score high for 5K, score low for longer runs but better performance
• More flexibility in what it is measured based upon
• People don’t know anything about it

In response to this the following Changes will be made for 2013

Make it Simpler
On a high level it will be simplified, the league system will be scrapped, age adjustment will continue but scores will be out of 10 per race, 10 being the maximum possible score and meaning your time (age adjusted) would be the winning time, . The league will be based on your score from your best 8 races in the year. This means you can race as much as you want and if you improve on any of your best 8 races your overall score and standing will improve so every race has the potential to count when you are stood on the start line.

Make it fairer
Parkruns will stay in as any other race but will be scored based on the course record as a benchmark. Long and hard races will have an extra adjustment to bring scores (which tend to be lower) to parity when compared with equivalent performance over shorter distances. I did the 3 peaks in 4.36 and scored 100 odd fewer points than a 21 min parkrun – this should no longer happen. The types of races which I expect to fall into this are marathons and longer fell races.
For those who think age adjusting only favours the older runners I will also introduce a score based on your absolute finish time and you can view the league ordered by this if you wish.
I will introduce a measure of improvement which will show those people who may not be the absolute quickest but are improving over the year. You will be able to order the league based on this column.

Make it possible to look at different metrics.
This is tough one as it makes it more complicated and flies in the face of the steer to make it simpler. I am going to attempt it though, to make it both more simple and complicated at the same time. For those who have a mind to, there will be the facility to look at the league (in excel) by filtering on the following:-
• Male and Female
• Road, Fell or trail races – or a mixture thereof
• 5K,10K,10Mile,Half Marathon, 20 Mile, Marathon or a mixture thereof
• Short, medium or long races (aimed at fell or trail races)
• A filter on races occurring between given dates

There will be a facility to sort the league based on a range of different metrics:-
• Age adjusted points
• Non age adjusted points
• Total number of races ran
• Total distance ran
• Total points
• Average points
• Improvement indicator

So for the real hard core stattos you can filter and order the league to suit whatever scenario you can dream up. Sorry but weight, height, weather, shoes size was a step too far in the measure absolutely everything stakes.

This will give us the ability to identify different winners – 5K league for you Park Running addicts. Road race league, Fell League!, Female 10K Road Race league, Male marathon league, Long trail race league, Most races ran league (yawn!), distance ran league, non age adjusted champion (the out and out fastest) league and so on.

I don’t know anything about it
So here’s my deal I will write something which explains it and post it on the web, the forum, email it out and put it in a newsletter. Your part in the deal is to read what I write by any of the 4 mediums you choose, any questions please feel free to ask, the forum is a really easy and good place to throw them in.
I’ve always ran this as a competition where everyone is in by default and you can opt out if you like. I don’t want to change this as I think an inclusive club should be open by default and opt out by exception rather than the other way around. That said, please do opt out if you want to – email me, post on the forum, mention it to me in conversation, facebook –whatever works for you.

Darryl.
Last Edit: 10 years 11 months ago by Darryl Stead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Burdon , Antony Mawson

In house 2013 10 years 11 months ago #2

• Andrew Byrom
All sounds a very sensible and pragmatic approach. I'm not going for most runs next year, I'm trying to focus on one quality long run per month.

One question, can you clarify what has happened to wild cards?

In house 2013 10 years 11 months ago #3

• Nigel Armitage
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Well, good luck with all of that Darryl! But I get the make-it-simple bit. Keep up the good work.

In house 2013 10 years 11 months ago #4

• Darryl Stead
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 324
Thanks Nigel, once I've cracked this I will move onto something simpler, world peace, ending poverty, curing the common cold.

The format for races which count will be the same as this year, A defined list, 7+ and wildcard (1 per quarter).

Series will be pretty similar to last year, Vets races, big championships and and the local ones which we tend to have a high turnout at anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew Byrom

In house 2013 10 years 11 months ago #5

• Neil Wallace
Just for clarity... the updated results and final placings don't appear to be accurate? Or, more likely, I've just missed the point or lost the plot... possibly even both!

1) Some of those - inc me - who were promoted at end Q3 are now in different leagues at end of Q4 while others have remained in relegation/ promotion pending slots? I acknowledge I was likely due for relegation at end of Q4.

2) Total points xls - moot point really, but I appear to have more points than place above on final sheet.

I wouldn't wish this to affect my (or another Pacer's) starting point for the new year or similarly affect your new formulas and calculations... :)

Cheers,

NtS

In house 2013 10 years 11 months ago #6

• Darryl Stead
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 324
Neil,

If you're showing In the wrong league on the webpage table, apologies - this has been a recurring problem. The xl file is accurate I think; shows you in league 2 and when you first open it this is ordered by the number of races and why you have more point that someone above you - they have raced more. Order by point descending if you want to look at it that way.

We're all done with that now and this is an entirely new competition starting from 0 for everyone so nothing from last year carries over. Baildon Boundary way the first counter. Might be a week or so before I get the results out as I am due to flee the country for a short spell.

Darryl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neil Wallace
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds