Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013

Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013 11 years 3 months ago #1

• Andrew Byrom
Pacers - Does anyone have a good 20 week marathon training plan? I would like to aim to complete VLM in around 4.5 hours. Want to get started on training next week. There are loads on the net, but would prefer to use a tried and tested plan.

Any other tips from other experienced marathon runners welcome.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013 11 years 3 months ago #2

• John Pop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
By simply keeping fit and listening to the Diggwelter, you'll be OK, as you would probably beat 4½ hours if you ran it now!
Last Edit: 11 years 3 months ago by John Pop.

Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013 11 years 3 months ago #3

• Darryl Stead
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 324
Andrew,

An example training plan based on what I've used for training for long distance events
Training Plan

Easy to vary the length of the long run progression if you want to max out at shorter long runs, the danger of running too long is increased injury risk but the benefits are you're more prepared for the distance. All other runs have warm up and cool down in additions to the session. This is a 3 run a week plan, you can run more by adding recovery/steady runs or by knocking out a tempo run and putting something else instead.

Key points in any plan, is to make it progressive with recovery phases built in.

There's all sorts of different approaches though.

Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013 11 years 3 months ago #4

• Andrew Byrom
Looking for some advice please. I've had some training plans through from Digger, Darryl and discussed plans with other Pacers. I've put the following plan together, which in terms of total miles is very similar to Diggers 2010 plan.

A few things I want to maintain:

1. Monday and Friday as rest days (will do alternate Friday runs through Jan / Feb)
2. Continue to do Parkrun, though I may run occaisionally run to the race.
3. Keep Sunday for my long run.

Could you please look this over and let me know your thoughts. Any advice on nutrition and alcholal intake would be appreciated too. I've included word/excel versions.

Won't let upload a file for some reason. Please email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and i'll forward the files to you.
Last Edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Andrew Byrom.

Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013 11 years 3 months ago #5

• David Byrom
I don't understand how Park Run contributes to your marathon training?

Park Run will still be there in May after you complete the VLM. You'd be better focussing on long runs on a sunday.

Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013 11 years 3 months ago #6

• Andrew Byrom
David Byrom wrote:
I don't understand how Park Run contributes to your marathon training?

Park Run will still be there in May after you complete the VLM. You'd be better focussing on long runs on a sunday.

Understand your point, but Parkrun for me is a social run which I really enjoy. It probably doesn't contribute to completing VLM, but it does help my well being. I've got so many friends at Bradford that i'd really miss it if I stopped going. Guess I could marshall every week, like Andy H does, but can't see how a 5k run can harm?
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Racing Other Races Virgin London Marathon - 21st April 2013