Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Brownlee Triathlon 21st of September

Brownlee Triathlon 21st of September 10 years 7 months ago #1

• Michael Hern
Hi All,

Just entered my first Triathlon, see link, could be a great day out, organised by the Brownlee's and there will be an exhibition race where they race against each other..... :ohmy:

it's at Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal.

400m open water swim, 10k bike, 2.5K run,

brownleetri.com/

any advice on training would be greatly appreciated,

also does anybody know where is can hire wetsuits from?

thanks

Michael
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Brownlee Triathlon 21st of September 10 years 7 months ago #2

• Jenny Cooper
Seems very pricey for a super sprint so I;m not gonna enter.

However, what I would say is that you really need to get in open water asap, buy a wetsuit off web as will be cheaper than hiring especially if you wear it a few times. I recommend Wafkefield Tri Club sessions at Pugneys in Wakefield.

Also, practice coming off the bike and running straight away - its a bizarre marshmellow feeling.

good luck Mick.

Brownlee Triathlon 21st of September 10 years 7 months ago #3

• Graham Fisher
I did my first one yesterday at the Leeds Express Triathlon but this one was a indoor swim 400 meter swim and later turned into an aquathon instead due to a major car accident on the A61 going towards Harewood house.

I was one on the lucky ones which went out on the bike leg but we had to do a 6 mile detour to get back to the Leeds Grammer school.

When I started the run my legs were feeling like jelly and I managed to get round in 31:47 which after a 19 mile bike ride I was pretty pleased with.

That did not put me off at all and I will certainly be entering another one

Brownlee Triathlon 21st of September 10 years 7 months ago #4

• Michelle Tenwick
Hey Michael,

What a fab place to hold a race!

As for wetsuit hire, there's Huub - the official race wetsuit provider - that provides hire suits for £55 for 4 weeks (3 weeks prior to the race and a week following):

176.32.230.22/brownleetri.com/index.php/...-2/wetsuit-hire.html

Or there's places near Leeds like RobinHood watersports that provides hire suits for £40 for up to 16 days:

www.roho.co.uk/watersports/Triathlon-Wetsuit-Hire-3.html

Either should give you plenty of time to give your suit a go before race day. However, if you even have the slightest inclination that you may want to do more than one race then, as Jenny said, it'd be worth just buying a wetsuit.

Oh and in addition to Pugneys you could try out your wetsuit at Ilkley Lido. My tip would be to practise getting the suit off as quickly as possible at the end of your session - glide or baby oil helps, but whatever you do don't use vaseline on a wetsuit!

Good luck and enjoy,

Mich
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Michelle Tenwick.

Brownlee Triathlon 21st of September 10 years 7 months ago #5

• Darryl Stead
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 324
Mick,

You can borrow my wetsuit if you promise not to pee in it.

For your first tri, advice is to enjoy it and do t get caught up in all the obsessive side of it. It's a short event, it will pass in a blur so take it all in. Best to do some open water swimming before the event as it is totally different to the pool.

Darryl
Last Edit: 10 years 7 months ago by Darryl Stead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Hern

Brownlee Triathlon 21st of September 10 years 7 months ago #6

• Michael Hern
Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice so far, I am a little nervous about the swim and don't know what to expect when I enter the water,(shock at how cold it is Maybe) :sick: but going to look at going to Pugneys over the next few weeks. I'm also in week 6 of my Marathon training and the long runs are aleady ready in full flow!! so keen to try to incorporate in bike/swim sessions in and amongst the 6 runs I'm doing already a week!! I want to enjoy the first one but I'm very (very) competitive and I'll be keen to do all 3 disciplines in the best time I can.......

Darryl - thanks for this- and promise not to have any accidents in your wetsuits- (well apart from the start when I'm probably S**ting myself) :) Let me know when's convenient to collect.

thanks again

Michael
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Racing Other Races Brownlee Triathlon 21st of September