Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Brutal BIG Ben

The Brutal BIG Ben 10 years 10 months ago #1

• Neil Wallace
What could you do in 1hr 25mins and a few seconds? In 1984 Kenny Stuart managed to scale up and down the 4409ft of Ben Nevis and then return back to Fort William. The record still stands today. www.bennevisrace.co.uk/

I've walked up the 'Ben' on at least half a dozen occasions, in all weather, and NEVER had a view from the summit :-( It's hard going. I'd like to think at some point I could at least attempt the race which is held every year in September.

There would be much training required - quite literally, walk before you run etc... And yes, like most challenges there are entry requirements, travel logistics blah blah blah. Plus the obligatory cut-offs at halfway, summit and finish.

I've other targets this year so 2013 is not a consideration, but possibly in 2014; might even just support more suitable Pacers or visit for the spectacle - anyone else want to place this in the diary and start preparing/ planning? The dates appear to clash with the Yorkshireman/ Half. C'mon though, it's only 10 miles (eeek)... and just think of being able to out-trump any other race bragging rights B)

NtS
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The Brutal BIG Ben 10 years 10 months ago #2

• John Pop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
Ah - the memories - only two years after that I did it myself. The winner was Colin Donnelly in 1:25:50 seemingly just missing out on the great Kenny Stuart's record.

My time was some 7½ minutes later: 1:33:25 - trouble was that was at the summit :silly: He had already finished ! and I had still to run down, finally finished in 2:27 (14.7 min. miling - who'd'a thought that would be my flat speed now?).

And I couldn't see a thing approaching the top either Neil, except for the faster runners jumping over my head as they were descending.
Last Edit: 10 years 10 months ago by John Pop. Reason: Bad arithmetic

The Brutal BIG Ben 10 years 10 months ago #3

• Mark Dixson
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Neil,

I would fancy this next year, sounds like an 'interesting' challenge
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Racing Fell & Trail Races The Brutal BIG Ben