Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: EDALE SKYLINE

EDALE SKYLINE 10 years 5 months ago #1

• Jim Wheldon
Anyone glancing at the 'Latest Results' column on the home page may have noticed the 'Edale Skyline'.
For future reference this race, superbly organised by Dark Peak Fell Runners, is highly recommended.

Who might be interested? 3 Peakers, Pendle Tourers, Belper Rovers who want to step up a notch, Half and Full Yorkshiremen/women etc. Normally held on the 4th Sunday in March, this year's race was postponed due to snow. Normally held on the 4th Sunday of March, about 4 or 5 weeks before the 3 Peaks, so would serve as excellent preparation.

Graded AL it is run over 21 miles with 4500 feet of climbing. As the title suggests, it takes in the visible (if the clag's not down) hilltops from the delightful village of Edale, Derbyshire (Pub, tea rooms, camp site etc). The terrain includes some quite technical rock-hopping early and late along the edge of the Kinder plateau, some splendid trail running above Ladybower, a non-too-steep fast descent to Hope, then splendid ridge running up and over Lose Hill to Mam Tor. Oh, then the man-eating peat hags across to Brown Knoll.......

This year's winner, the English Fell Champion Simon Bailey, of Mercia, got round in 2:45, while the backmarkers were home in 5:30. Just one time cut-off - the half way point at Mam Tor, allowing a reasonable 2:45. 300 starters this year with 30 retiring or timed out. Again, a similar proportion to the 3 Peaks. It would be great if Pudsey Pacers were more strongly represented in such a race. I really believe we have the runners to do well. A cracking day out, try it !

ps: On a different tack, the PP Committee has volunteered me to write a 'Features and Benefits' piece about the UK Athletics initiatives 'Power of 10' and 'Run Britain'. Those with a penchant for mission statements - watch this space!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

EDALE SKYLINE 10 years 5 months ago #2

• Leigh Hinchliffe
sounds interesting Jim, will see how much Pendle scars me first though ;)

EDALE SKYLINE 10 years 5 months ago #3

• Neil Wallace
Really well run, Jim! Cracking time and another podium place. And I see another gnarly photo. Grrrr!

I'm planning on getting my training feet out over winter months. First, Rombald Stride (Feb), then possibly the Edale Skyline (March) and leading up to the 3 Peaks (April).

After these if I'm not as fit as a butcher's dog, then I'll limit myself to Parkruns and 10k road races :(

NtS
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds