Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Strava

Strava 8 years 11 months ago #1

• Dave Burdon
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 157
A message for all Strava users.
Many people are now using this excellent and informative tool to record their personal training and achievements in Running Cycling and Swimming. As you are aware Strava is available as a network for people to share information and results. This is great from a social and competitive view but as with all social network sites we would recommend some caution in relation to security. There have been reports of dishonest people adding themselves as friends to gather information on where they might be able to steal bikes from.
Our recommendation would be to use the Strava Privacy Settings and opt for enhanced privacy mode being switched on which will give the following security
o Your name will be anonymized (e.g. David B.) to all logged out athletes.
o Only Strava athletes that you approve can follow you.
o Only Strava athletes that you approve can see your photos.
o Only approved followers can see and download your activities on your Strava Profile
Further security could be provided if you feel it necessary by setting up a privacy zone within your home area. It should be noted that this will affect your appearance on any segment leader board where a segment falls within that privacy zone.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Byrom

Strava 8 years 11 months ago #2

• Tim Ayres
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
Hi Dave; this may be a silly question but what is the connection (if any) between the Segments facility on Garmin Connect and Strava?
TimA

Strava 8 years 11 months ago #3

• Dave Burdon
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 157
Hi Tim As far as I know they are both the same function but different products. I use Garmin for my training log but not the segments (they were a bit later than Strava to introduce) and I use Strava for my achievements and also the segments as most people I know tend to use Strava for the competitive and compararison element.
As I say I think Garmin does the same thing its just they were a bit later with their functionality. Strava will synchronise up with Garmin, Tom Tom and other products. Not sure about Garmin I suspect it only synchronises with its own products. Hope this helps although I can't claim to be an expert.

Strava 8 years 11 months ago #4

• John Pop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
I use a Garmin to measure my runs. To log my distance and "achievements" I used to use a notebook and biro, but now have progressed to Excel spreadsheets, and I can find at a glance what I did on any day in the past 25 years.

And if you accuse me of being behind the times, I'll whistle for a bobby to come and give you a good ticking off :silly:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds