Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fell-runing history question

Fell-runing history question 8 years 8 months ago #1

• Luke McQuade
I've just been looking at old fell race results, and 2001 is always missing due to foot and mouth. For those that were running on the fells at that time, what was it like? Was it just races that were cancelled or did it cause serious issues for training, too? Were there gatherings of not-racers coincidentally assembled at certain points at certain times, or did folk stick to the rules?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fell-running history question 8 years 8 months ago #2

• John Pop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
Loads of races were cancelled, as a reaction to the condition. The main areas of concern were (obviously?) in the countryside - I remember driving up to and down from work in Scotland weekly and having to drive through disinfected "pools" at the boundaries of these areas set up to eliminate the spread of f&m by tyre track.

The British knee-jerk style of reaction continued to the more local public footpaths surrounding towns including West Yorkshire but after obeying the warning signs for a few weeks people got tired of it and started running off road again.

My fell running career wasn't in full swing at this time, so others would probably give you a better answer to race substitution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luke McQuade

Fell-runing history question 8 years 8 months ago #3

• Graeme Tiffany
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Most folk responded in good faith. The restrictions were not total, so there was always scope for the motivated to get out and about. I did the Karrimor Mountain Marathon in the October, the Elite course at that - which was 15+ hours of off-road training per week - so certainly found a way. Others took it as a year 'off'; which was the same for our beloved countryside (it got a year off from the hammer it usually gets and naturalists reported extraordinary levels of recovery of threatened species). A vivid memory was of the idiocy of some of the restrictions: the footpath crossing one of the fairways at Woodhall Hills golf course was closed, and yet the golf continued regardless. Note today that the details are out of the cuts to national park funding; The Yorkshire Dales and the Peak District are a third down compared to only a few years ago. God help us if it happens again. I'd have those disinfectant pools back again tomorrow if it stopped the Tories doing any more damage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Luke McQuade, David Byrom

Fell-runing history question 8 years 8 months ago #4

• Luke McQuade
Interesting, thanks chaps.
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds
You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Miscellaneous Fell-runing history question