Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Machine washing shoes

Machine washing shoes 10 years 3 weeks ago #7

• Katy Ralph
I've put them on a delicates cycle without the spin cycle and that was ok but probably could've done better by handwashing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Machine washing shoes 10 years 3 weeks ago #8

• Sarah Norman
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Why would you want to wash your shoes. I leave mine out in the rain and then bang the mud off them. They're only going to get muddy again. When you pay £50 to £100 for a pair of shoes I wouldn't risk the washing machine!!

Machine washing shoes 10 years 3 weeks ago #9

• Luke McQuade
I used to bring my fell shoes into the shower with me and give them a scrub. Stopped doing that after the water stopped draining so well. But if it's odour and not mud that's the problem, I don't see why you couldn't do that... pretend they are small mammals and lather them in shower gel or something?

Machine washing shoes 10 years 3 weeks ago #10

• John Pop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
Neil Wallace wrote:
Anyone got any advice (or warnings) for putting bog-standard cushioned road shoes in a washing machine?

NtS

Open door. Put shoes in. Close door. Press some buttons. Sit back and watch. 20 min per shoe plus 20 min.

If you need them drying out quickly, microwave on full power for 4½ minutes.
Last Edit: 10 years 3 weeks ago by John Pop.

Machine washing shoes 10 years 3 weeks ago #11

• Neil Wallace
Thanks for the sensible & all other comments. Think I'll get out my toothbrush and brush away.

NtS

Machine washing shoes 10 years 4 days ago #12

• Graeme Tiffany
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
I'd advise against putting your shoes in the washing machine, not least because all the detritus will ultimately do for the machine also. Undo the laces right down to the bottom, remove insoles, wash in plain water (without soap) using a decent brush. Pack with newspaper and leave to dry somewhere where the air circulates and never near or on a radiator. Shoes are the one bit of a kit that are really important in running so you should look after them big style - and then they will look after you. Never pull your shoes off without undoing the laces completely, this only stretches the tops and will (on the fell at least) lead to poorly fitting shoes, blisters and even the loss of a shoe in boggy situations. Ideally buy multiple pairs (2 or 3) and circulate them. This allows them to dry properly and enables the midsole to recover. Using your shoes on consecutive days will only lead to faster degradation of the cushioning, so the economically-minded will be quids in if they buy a few at a time and use them as suggested. I could go on, and on, but you probably don't want to hear it.

Yours sincerely,

Imelda Marcos
Last Edit: 10 years 4 days ago by Graeme Tiffany.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neil Wallace
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Miscellaneous Machine washing shoes