Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Changing from heel to forefoot strike

Changing from heel to forefoot strike 10 years 3 months ago #1

• Luke McQuade
Hi,
My heel striking running seems to have caused me a bit of trouble and I'd like to move to running with a forefoot strike. It's something I've been thinking about for a couple of months and have just started experimenting, doing a few very short runs in plimsolls.

I plan to gradually build up, but was wondering... what are the kind of injuries I could expect if I over do it (other than sore calfs... something I've already experienced)? I'll be shoe shopping for some proper road and off-road shoes next week... any advice here? I was thinking X-talon 212 for off-road, Nike Free for road.

Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Luke
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Changing from heel to forefoot strike 10 years 3 months ago #2

• Graeme Tiffany
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Note Alistair Brownlee's injury that nearly cost him his place in the Olympics. His speed is said to come from his style (fore to mid-foot strike) but it is generally accepted that this will mean his athletic lifespan will be much shorter than others (e.g. Gomes). That is, he will continue to be injury prone. You should first seek to understand the cause of the problems you have experienced which, possibly, might be related to footwear.

Changing from heel to forefoot strike 10 years 3 months ago #3

• Antony Mawson
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 53
Hi Luke

Just to pick up from what Graeme mentioned re: footware.

Early last year I purchased a pair of running shoes from Amazon after reading rave reviews about them, I thought they would be a good buy, how wrong could I be! I started getting numb feet then soon after a knee injury which needed physio treatment (he suggested the change in footware might have been the cause).

Anyway I went to Sweatshop in Castleford, who can analyse your running style (they film you whilst on a treadmill). It turned out that I am a neutral runner so do not require any support in my shoes and I also require a wide fitting, the Amazon shoes (Brookes) had support and were too narrow. Since purchasing my new shoes (New Balance) , I have not had any further problems (touch wood).

So you do need to be careful when purchasing running shoes, what’s good for one runner is not necessary good for you.

Tony

Changing from heel to forefoot strike 10 years 3 months ago #4

• Luke McQuade
Ah, wise words. Thanks chaps.

I think my shoes may have just worn out... they've done me well but not lasted as long as I expected. I've just ordered a head torch that should mean I don't have to train on road so much too.
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds
You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Miscellaneous Changing from heel to forefoot strike