Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Marathon training advice welcome

Marathon training advice welcome 11 years 1 month ago #1

• Sara Demaine
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Hello Pacers

Just wondering if more experienced folk can give me some advice please.

I'm in week 12 of 16 weeks for the manchester marathon at the end of April (sunday after VLM).

I'm trying to plan my last long runs. The plan i'm following says 16 miles at week 12, 21 miles at week 13, 18 miles at week 14 and 10 miles at week 15 (week before race day)

I've done 20 miles already at Spen 20 and think that 21 miles seems alot so close to race day, was thinking of doing staedy 15 and 16 milers maybe the max being one 18 miler? Is a 10 mile long run the week before ok, or would people suggest less?

I'm up on accumulative distance and feeling ok generally with it but I dont want to peak or go off a bit!

Despite reading a great article in Running & Fitnes on pre marathon nerves, Ive defo got the jitters I think and the snow's not helping!!! :unsure:

Any help would be fab, thanks, Sara

PS this is my first marathon!
Last Edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Sara Demaine.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Marathon training advice welcome 11 years 1 month ago #2

• John Pop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 172
Hi Sara,
You've come so far on your plan and you have done very well so to continue with your plan would be ideal.

There is always a HOWEVER, however. You are getting the jitters and doubting the plan you have followed for so long. This is normal, however those of us who have done a few Marathons and trained for them over long periods, get into the habit of "listening to our bodies". You have done the Spen 20 with an encouraging result, and thankfully it was just long enough before the Marathon not to affect it. It shows that you will complete the Marathon.

If the article you read was a good one it may have warned you that the first 20 miles is for some people only half way. The last 6 is untrained territory. You can pay for starting off too fast. I personally think that you should follow the program as closely as possible and do the 21 miles, and the rest of it. You will then be in the right frame of mind and full of confidence.

But it is your body, you have the feelings, and this is where the caution comes in. If at all you think the remaining training is going to strain/injure you in any way just back off a bit. If you do the 21 can you choose a route where you could cut off for home if you need to and say do 18/19? Beware as the temptation to cut off even if you are going well will be great. This run should be done in a relaxed manner (and not so many Spen-type hills) at a steady pace throughout preferably not actually "checking" your pace to see if you are going "fast" enough.

It is these runs which give you your endurance and confidence. As for the 10-miler the week before, that would be fine, no more, and again try and and do this in a relaxed manner in the morning with your mind one week ahead.

You mentioned the snow, of course it is not helping us and that is more likely to cause injury than owt else. If you could travel to East Yorkshire/Yorkish or at least east of the A1 while it is like this to do your long runs, it is not so bad there.

Good luck

P.S. We all respond to different training, and different advice will follow, hopefully from others in the club. Just read it all Sara and try and do what's right for you. Above all, just don't try and overstrain in the last few weeks and don't go the other way and shut right down.
Then when you have completed the Manchester Marathon successfully as I know you will do, lend me that plan ;)
Last Edit: 11 years 1 month ago by John Pop.

Marathon training advice welcome 11 years 1 month ago #3

• Andrew Byrom
Sara fully understand your situation, because I am feeling the same. I've just lost a week of training due to flu (40 miles!) and have no chance of trying to catch that up, if i did I'd probably suffer by trying to do too much too soon. So just going to ease back into it. I have 4 weeks till London with 14, 12, 10 as my long runs. But due to losing the week, probably going to do 15, 13, 11. I've got one solid 20 mile run in and am confident I'll finish.

I've definitely become more conscious that the marathon is just round the corner and getting pretty anxious about not getting injured especially after all the bloody hard work since 1st Jan. My jitters aren't so much about not finishing, it's more about not making the start. :cheer:

Agreed with Jon, the last 6 are going to be tough, but hoping the atmosphere will pull me through in a decent time, though its a PB regardless so I'm not going to put myself under extra pressure by aiming for a time.

I'd stick to your plan, but as Jon says listen to your body and adjust as necessary. Something I've done throughout the last 13 weeks.

We'll have to catch up at the AGM for a natter about our training plans, i've been boring everyone else senseless with my marathon talk. I will confess it has become a bit of an obsession.
Last Edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Andrew Byrom.

Marathon training advice welcome 11 years 1 month ago #4

• David Magee
Don't forget the power of positive thought.

The last six miles is going to hurt no matter how fit you are, that's the nature of the beast that is a marathon.

Eat well, sleep well & keep positive thoughts in the head.

Marathon training advice welcome 11 years 1 month ago #5

• Sara Demaine
  • Senior Boarder
Hi John
Thanks so much for this, it's really really helped me think & plan & generally stay more mindful, Its so helpful hearing other people's views as pounding away on your own can feel a bit solitary, really appreciate you taking the time to reply, will keep you posted!

Sara :)

Marathon training advice welcome 11 years 1 month ago #6

• Sara Demaine
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Andrew, you've trained so hard! Managing the jitters is rubbish though, yes, let's confer at the AGM , I'm also boring my lot! Sara :lol:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
You are here: Home Forum Main Forum Miscellaneous Marathon training advice welcome